Thursday 24 October 2013

Extractions for Braces

Ok so being told that you need 4 healthy teeth extracted is a lot scary!

To me I thought this was unheard of but having 'googled' it it turns out its quite common.  My other half said he also had extractions for his braces when he was younger.

So... I read an article and watched a youtube clip about a dentist who insists that extractions will ruin your face.  He referenced twins who had dental treatment as children,  one had extractions the other didn't.  They are now comparing their facial structures as adults and consider the brother whonhad extractions as the less fortunate looking one.

I also came across a lady who has been blogging on youtube about her extractions (10 years ago) who feels her face changed because of it. 

This totally freaked me out as it probably would tons of others BUT what you have to take into consideration is that this was treatment that was done 10+ years ago when dentists were pulling out teeth will - nilly regardless of the proposed outcome.  Practise has probably changed since then and in some cases (typically where overjets are concerned) extractions are necessary to get the end results we require.  We all have different sized teeth and mouths and I guess we just have to put our faith in our orthos to do what they know best.

Dont get me wrong, I still question and wonder what changes will occur to my face as there obviously will be some change when my teeth move but I wont know until the end...

1 comment: