Thursday 24 October 2013

Braces Day!!

18th October 2013


Three days after the extractions and its Brace Day.

Im quite relieved that they are going on, at least it shows reason for me having gaps in my smile rather than just looking like they are there because of bad oral hygiene!

My other half dropped me off on his way to the gym and I was half an hour early for my appointment - talk about excited!  The dental nurse picked me up from reception so she could take some xrays then just a little while later I was on my way to the orthos room.  The dental nurse and I had this little jokey thing where I am fighting my way passed her to get my braces ... was funny at the time! :-/

Had a bit of a chit chat with the ortho and then she got me to sign all the bits... now she thinks my treatment may be 18 months... bit late to turn back now that Ive got holes in my gob!

My ortho took my moulds which meant filling my mouth with pink gunky stuff which was nice and cold :) and waiting for it to set I actually wouldn't mind looking at those  at some point.

Then we were all set... this was it... the first day of  the rest of my year+.
I had a plastic piece put in my mouth to hold my lips back and that was pretty uncomfortable but nothing unbearable... I'm pretty sure that didn't look too sexy!  They dried my mouth ready to glue the brackets on, the wire got fitted and the elastics (ligatures) put on.  The whole thing took half an hour, how quick!

The ortho passed me the mirror to have a look and to be honest initially my heart sank a little bit... just seeing these bulky brackets on my teeth.

She gave me a list of rules;
○ DON'T eat curry :(
○ DON'T eat tomato based sauces :(
○ DON'T drink coffee :(
○ DON'T drink carbonated drinks or eat chocolate, hard candy, chewing gum (not so bad since I dont really drink or eat any of that)
○ Eat soft food
○ Chew with your back teeth
○ Floss daily

The ligatures/elastics around the ceramics are prone to staining hence some of the restrictions... my ortho told me to save curry night until the day before my adjustments as she will change the elastics then as they tend to get stained anyway...  joys!

I can tell you that this far nothing was as painful as I imagined it would be.... I couldn't really bite down as my teeth don't meet which was  probably why I didn't feel any pain.  

The whole process was that quick that this little braceface was home before the bf. :)

And here's my grills...



No comments:

Post a Comment